THE "BETTER" FRANSCHHOEK RESTAURANTS (In Franschhoek town and valley)
Akademie Street Boutique Hotel and Guest House is in the heart of the "food and wine capital of the Cape". Many people visit just to eat at the famous Franschhoek restaurants, some situated on the wine farms, some attached to the hotels and some independent ones in the village itself. This means that particularly during the high season (1 October to 30 April) it can be impossible to get into the restaurant of your choice without prior booking. You might wish to book ahead using the e-mail addresses given. If phoning from outside South Africa leave out the 0 at the beginning and substitute +27 instead.
For your guidance we give an alphabetical list of some of the better restaurants (at least in our opinion). There are, of course, plenty of other places to eat for those who want to explore.
There are no taxis in Franschhoek. It is sometimes possible to organise transport but at fair notice. It is expensive and makes one very inflexible. So either one should drive oneself, as do most people, or else walk and eat in town.
It is even more difficult with the wineries, which, unless you are a major hiker, need to be got to by car, bicycle or horseback.
VEGETARIANS – PLEASE LET RESTAURANT KNOW WHEN BOOKING TO ENSURE A BETTER CHOICE.
Our list below tells you to which restaurants you can walk from Akademie Street boutique hotel and guest house - most of them in fact. So why not dine and wine and then sink into an extra length, extra width king size bed at Akademie Street. Click here to book.
It is normally not necessary to book ahead (at peak times, still not worth taking a chance):
- Allora: Italian food. Excellent pizzas. Can eat outside in the garden. Very good value meals and friendly service. 021 876-4375/6. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Col’ Cacchio: Easy walking distance. Pizzas and salads also a few so-so pasta dishes. Upstairs lounge bar. Live music sometimes. 021 876-4222 email@example.com
- Elephant and Barrel: Easy walking distance. English style pub. Sit inside or in the square. Has nice ambience and good pub food. Music some nights. Kitchen closes at 22h00 (on Sundays at 21h30) 021 876-4127 firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Common Room – at Le Quartier Francais: Easy walking distance. Tapas style menu but the best place to be for a light meal because the food is so good. Also has outside tables. Open daily. 021 876-2151 email@example.com
- Kalfi's: Easy walking distance. Family restaurant. Very friendly owners. Especially nice place to be because of the staff. Have several typical South African dishes on the menu. Try the Cape Malay curry. If you like hot chocolate ask for Arthur’s Special (with a shot of brandy in it). Kitchen closes at 10 p.m. in summer. 021 876-2520
- Salmon Bar at the Yard: Easy walking distance. Specialise in salmon dishes but a couple of non-fish options available. Small and sophisticated good restaurant, bar, deli. Very good breads baked throughout the day. Open daily from 9.00 a.m. until 9.00 p.m. 021 876-4591 firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Stall: Easy walking distance. Excellent thin-crust pizzas and burgers alongside the old railway station. 021 876-4497
Should you wish to drive further for an excellent lunch* we list below some of the restaurants that in our view are particularly good. (They are 35 minutes to 50 minutes driving time from Akademie Street Boutique Hotel and Guest House).
- Bosman’s: at the Grande Roche hotel in Paarl. 021 863-5100
- Casparus: 59 Dorp Street Stellenbosch. (open Tuesday through Saturday) 021 882-8124
- Jordan Restaurant with George Jardine: on the Jordan wine farm. 021 881-3612
- Overture: on the Hidden Valley wine farm. 021 880-2721
- Pomegranate: on the Vergenoegd wine farm. 021 843-3248
- Terroir: On the Kleine Zalze golf course. 021 880-8167
* After dinner we do not recommend the long night drive back to Franschhoek