Franschhoek is right in the centre of the most beautiful part of the Western Cape.
Think of Franschhoek as the nicest place to stay in Cape Town, for it is only:
- 50 minutes drive from Cape Town International Airport
- 55 minutes drive from the centre of Cape Town
- 90 minute drive from the great bulk of the Cape’s wine farms
- 20 minutes drive from historic Paarl
- 30 minutes drive from Stellenbosch with its old buildings and university
- 40 minutes drive to the white beaches of the warm Indian ocean
- 15 – 45 minutes to seven different golf courses
- 60 minutes drive to the whales and the white shark diving off Hermanus
- 90 minutes to Langebaan, Pater Noster and the wild flowers in August, September
- 90 minutes to Montagu in the arid Klein Karoo
- On the circular half day drives through spectacular scenery and gorgeous passes
On top of that Franschhoek has nearly 40 restaurants or sidewalk cafes, several of them world-famous, where one can idle one’s time away. Franschhoek is peaceful, safe to walk even at night and has no traffic problems. One can ride by bicycle or by horse or can take the open wine tram to to taste wine or hike in the glorious mountain reserve or fly fish all within minutes of the village.
So unless you like living out of a suitcase think of staying in Franschhoek and then visiting the rest of the area on day trips!
Stay in Franschhoek for at least five nights to experience it at its best.